Friday, February 20, 2009

US Passport Information and Requirements

Special Report:
US Passport Information and Requirements for returning to the United States Of America.
All United States citizens 16 years old or older will be required to have a Passport, or other special documents as stated below, when returning to the United States Of America. The information below was attained from a US government website.

There will be a new
requirement for United States citizens to produce
a passport when re-entering the United States,
effective June 1, 2009. We suggest that if you do
not already have one, apply for a passport now to
be sure not to get caught in a timely circumstance.


This information is the latest to date, Dec 30, 2008, found on the U.S. Department
of State website. Please
check the mentioned websites to stay current with the information.
To avoid any question, apply for your passport now if you
do not have one.
The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s
website. .
CURRENTLY: U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card*
(scheduled to be in full production beginning in July 2008), or WHTI-compliant document;
or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license, along with proof of
citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
LATER: On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of
the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering
the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-
compliant document.
CHILDREN: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 will be able to present the original or
copy of their birth certificate, or other proof of citizenship such as a naturalization
certificate or citizenship card. Groups of U.S. citizen children ages 16 through 18, when
traveling with a school or religious group, social organization, or sports team, will be able
to enter under adult supervision with originals or copies of their birth certificates or other
proof of citizenship.

*U.S. citizens can also apply for a U.S. Passport Card, which facilitates entry and expedites
document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada,
Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. Otherwise,
it carries the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and is adjudicated to the exact
same standards.

All persons traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a
passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment